Posted by Bethany Handy ● July 19, 2013
Blogging 101 for the Construction Industry
So you own a construction company and you have heard how important blogging is for search results. But you may never have written a blog post and don't know where to start. You want to do everything in your power to grow your business and connect with your customers but this is all new territory. Don't worry! In this article we will discuss blogging basics for the construction industry.
This article will answer the questions:
- What is a blog?
- Why should I blog?
- How often do I blog?
- What should I blog about?
- How will people find my blog?
- What are the rules for blogging?
What is a blog?
Why should I blog?
- Blogging can help position you as a leader in the construction industry. By sharing your expertise and knowledge people will see that you are a source that can be sought after and trusted when it comes to the construction industry.
- Blog posts create original content for your company's website and search engines love original content. Blogging increases your SEO (search engine optimization) and allows you to target specific keywords.
- You can start a dialogue with your customers or potential customers through your blog. By their very nature blogs are interactive and they welcome feedback and comments.
- Companies that blog acquire new customers. According to the 2013 State of Inbound Marketing report, blogs produced a new customer for 43% of companies in 2012.
- The construction industry is very competitive and by producing great content for your blog you can separate yourself from your competition.
- Blogging can give you a glimpse into your customers' minds. Blog analytics track readers, clicks, shares, comments and page views. These analytics can even show what time and day you get the most traffic to your blog.
How often do I blog?
This question is a little tricky because it all depends on how quickly you want to see results. While blogging once a month with help you see results and it will increase your search standing if you committed to blogging weekly or even daily you would be astonished by how quickly you begin to acquire new web traffic and customers through your blog.
82% of marketers who blog daily acquired a customer using their blog, as opposed to 57% of marketers who blog monthly. While 57% is nothing to balk at, wouldn't you rather be on of the 82%?
What should I blog about?
There are many great topics for companies in the construction industry to blog about. You want to stop and think- What information are my customers looking for?
Pricing- Consumers are always curious about how much things cost. Many times people want to get an idea of the cost of a project before calling companies and meeting with contractors for bids. Providing general pricing information your readers can find the information they are looking for. ***Note- This is not a place to give exact dollar amounts of specific projects rather to provide a range of general pricing for a project)
How-Tos- People in general love to learn new things. Offering some basic how-tos through your blog is a great way to peak people's interest and get them interacting with your company. ***Note- Include a short instructional video with your how-tos for extra umph!
Comparisons- Comparisons can be very informative for readers. You might want to compare different materials or methods on your blog. This is another great way to educate your audience.
Reviews- Review the latest and greatest products in your industry. This not only keeps you on top of your game it shows others that you know what you are talking about.
Projects- Sharing before and after photos, or pictures of your construction projects from start to finish is a great way to visually show your audience your company's capabilities. People love to see transformations.
How will people find my blog?
There are many ways people will be able to find your construction blog. They should be able to find it directly from your home page, though an internet searches, through email campaigns and through social media.
You can get the word out about your blog by sending an email to all your current customers (only send to people who have given you permission to email them) or by asking your employees to tell everyone they know about your blog. Posting about your blog on your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Google+ pages is another great way to spread the word.
What are the rules for blogging?
While there are not really any hard and fast rules for blogging there are definitely some blogging best practices.
- Blog often
- Use only original content
- Blog posts should be at least 250 words
- Break up long pieces of text into smaller bite-sized pieces
- Use images or video for added visual interest
- Target specific keywords
- Use bullet points and numbered lists
- Don't write anything you wouldn't want your mom to read
- Evaluate what works
- Link back to your website when possible
- Make your blog articles easy to share
- Have fun
The construction industry is filled with hundreds on companies competing for the same customers. Blogging is an excellent way for contractors to reach people without beating them over the head with a sales message. Blogging allows you to grow your construction company organically and positions you as a thought leader. Set your company apart by having an awesome construction blog.