Email is the primary form of communication for many people.
Many people receive upwards of 100 emails every day.
What can you do to make sure your email doesn't end up in the trash? Compose an email with an irresistible subject line and a clear message that entices your reader to continue reading. Here are some helpful tips to get you started.
The purpose of a subject line is to state what the reader can expect if they read your email. A subject line should not be flashy or salesy. This is your first attempt to grab your reader's attention and most people hate being inundated with sales messages.
Many people consider the subject line the most important part of an email. Why you might ask? So that your message is received. If you write an email and no one opens it your message falls on deaf ears.
Crafting the perfect subject line is difficult and can take more time than any other part of your email but you need to get this right.
Keep it short.
Your subject line should be less than 50 characters. (MailChimp studies show subject lines with 28-39 characters had the highest click rates)
Ask a Question.
Subject lines that ask a question have been shown to increase click-through rates.
Stay Away From:
- Using the word free in your subject line
- Writing your subject line in all CAPS
- Special Characters
- Using "RE:" and "Fwd:"
The body of your email should clearly deliver your message and encourage the reader to take a desired action.
- Structure your email in bite-sized sections for easy readability.
- Use bullets and numbers to present your message concisely.
- Highlight important words or phrases in bold or italics but don't overdo it.
The signature line of an email should not be longer than the actual email itself. The signature line should only be used to inform your readers of your pertinent contact information.
- Keep your signature line less than 5 lines.
- Any images/logos included on your signature need to be crisp and clear.
- Include your name, and relavent contact information. Do you really need them to follow you on Instagram, Pinterest AND Facebook? Maybe trim down the options a bit. Some people even create a follow me page to link to.
Composing great emails can increase leads and generate sales. Use these email composition best practices to take your email marketing skills to the next level.