Google Maps are ingrained in most consumer's lives.
There are some major changes to the system coming up. Read more to learn about how to get early access so you can start getting your business's listing up to snuff.
Here is a video overview of the new Google Maps.
Now that you've seen what it will do, what are the takeaways?
- You need to make sure your business is listed on Google Maps, which is really just an extension of Google+ at this point. Click here to set that up.
- Request an invitation to the new Google Maps experience to try it for yourself. Click here to go to that page.
- You should fill out your listing with 100% completion. Incomplete listings will not show with prominence.
- Encourage interaction on Google+ in the form of +1's, comments, and reviews. The well reviewed places will show more prominently. Here is more on that.
- Know your consumer. What are they searching for online? If you are the CMO for Billy Bubba's Balloon Bonanza, you should be thinking about how people are really finding your business. Sure you are the #1 result in Google for the search term "Billy Bubba's Balloon Bonanza", but is that enough? Ranking for your company name is important, because it ensures that people who know about your business can find you. But what about those typing in the search term "balloon store 76104". This Googler just wants to find the closest balloon store to them. What about "best balloon shop fort worth"? Will Billy Bubba rank for this?
The most important thing when filling out your maps listing, building landing pages, or creating any content online is to consider what people are searching for, and deliver remarkable and relevant to that user's search.